Sunday, June 26

to recover or not...that is the question

Last week I scored this groovy orange velvet chair at a pre-yard sale. I love the size and the shape and it's surprisingly comfortable. For about 18 months I've been looking for a vintage chair that I could recover for my bedroom. This chair is certainly vintage, but I'm not so sure about the color and the fabric. Here she is:

As you can see, it has a couple of stains and the fabric is a little worn in some areas, but all-in-all, it's in great condition. I like the shape of the legs too, which if I recovered, would be painted.

My bedroom is gray, yellow and white. Now, there's nothing wrong with a little splash of orange, but I'm not sure if this is the piece to do the splashing.

Here's another look:


As you can see, Lizzie and Louie (seated) have taken to the chair almost immediately. In fact they got into a fight about five minutes after this photo was taken. And now, three days later, the chair is covered in cat hair. Yet another draw back of velvet.

Also, can you see the dusty rose color chair in the background? It's a cane chair that I scored for free. I actually have two of those that desperately need to be recovered and the frame needs to be repainted. I hate the dusty rose color and I have WAY too much brown wood in this house. I've seen a ton of upholstery tutorials online, but I guess I'm just afraid of biting off more than I can chew.

So...back to the orange... should I recover or leave as is (cleaning it of course). Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment